The Freeport Bridge, also known as the Donald R. Lobaugh Bridge, was constructed in 1965 to take PA Route 356 traffic over the Allegheny River and to connect the Freeport Borough area to Westmoreland County. The bridge and its approaches are a vital link between Butler and Armstrong Counties to the north and west with Westmoreland County to the south and east. The bridge consists of a main span over the Allegheny River with a number of smaller spans on both approaches.
The bridge rehabilitation will consist of upgrades to the superstructure, new piers and structures for the northern and southern approaches to the main span and a new reinforced concrete deck.
Brayman Construction, of Saxonburg, PA, was awarded the project by PennDOT. Allegheny Mineral is currently providing all the construction aggregate from its Slippery Rock and Worthington plants. John W. Thrower is providing the concrete for Brayman, which utilizes cement and aggregate products from Armstrong Cement and Supply as well as aggregates from Allegheny Mineral and Glacial Sand and Gravel.
Donald R. Lobaugh was a young soldier from Freeport, PA who was posthumously awarded the Medal Of Honor by the President in 1945. PFC Lobaugh lead a platoon of American soldiers against a Japanese machine gun nest in the Pacific Theatre. He was killed, but inspired the rest of his platoon to overrun and capture the key enemy position.
- Vehicles per Day: average 12,110
- Height: 47 feet (over Allegheny River)
- Total Length of Structure: approximately 3,500 feet